Monday, November 28, 2011

Word Vomit: Spitting Out A Few More Movie Reviews

So in addition to Hugo, I ended up seeing quite a number of movies this week. I guess me and my buddy went a little nuts at the theater. So anyways, in order from best to worst, here's a few quick thoughts on the other movies I saw over the holiday weekend:

Martha Marcy May Marlene

This intense psychological thriller was a very interesting and extremely engaging movie all around, with an especially awesome performance by Elizabeth Olsen. I didn't know much about it going in, and I think my viewing experience really benefited greatly for it. My only real knock against the movie is that the ending felt a bit abrupt, which was initially off-putting. However, upon further reflection, I actually quite liked the way it was handled. One of the year's best, without a doubt.

Anonymous

Did Shakespeare actually write his plays? The director of such explosive movies as Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow, and 2012 aims to tackle that very subject himself. And as it turns out, one of Roland Emmerich's movies that doesn't focus on the complete and total destruction of the world also happens to be one of his best. Certainly his best movie since Independence Day. It suffers from some sloppy editing earlier on, which makes it initially hard to follow along. However, it really pulls itself together by the end, and actually is quite an intriguing and, well, Shakespearean story.

Immortals

This was just fun as hell. Sure, it's stupid, and at times it borders on flat out parody, but it's just so much fun that you don't even care. And it's really pretty to look at, too. Never before have I seen so many heads removed so beautifully from their respective bodies. Don't let the horrible trailers fool you, this really is one of the best pure action films in quite some time.

Tower Heist

This was surprisingly a lot more entertaining than I was ever expecting. It's not exactly the funniest movie, though there's a few good laughs to be had. But what really makes this movie work is just how over the top and ridiculous things continue to escalate to, and it really keeps you wondering just what'll happen next. Not the overly-predictable, stupid comedy that I was expecting.

J. Edgar

It wasn't bad necessarily, but it didn't do much for me. It was interesting enough, though it did drag a bit, and the constant jumping between time periods became tiresome. Leonardo DiCaprio obviously does a great job here, and his makeup wasn't nearly as bad as it looked in the trailers. But I'm actually surprised to not hear much praise for Armie Hammer, who really impressed me in particular with his portrayal as J. Edgar Hoover's right hand man (and possibly more?), Clyde Tolson.

No comments:

Post a Comment