Thursday, August 4, 2011

Random 2011 Movie Review Compilation (BEDA 4)

Well, I was having trouble coming up with a topic for today's blog. But then I stumbled upon Cynthia's most recent blog, where she totally embraced the randomness. And so, going off that idea, I've decided to do something a bit random myself.

Going back to the beginning of the year, I've taken the first sentence of my first movie review, the second sentence from the second review, and so on and so forth. I then put these random, out of context sentences together, thus creating my compilation review of all the movies I've reviewed so far in 2011. And surprisingly, this randomness actually turned out a lot more coherent than I ever would have expected. So then, without any further ado, I present to you, my random 2011 movie review compilation (see if you can tell what movie each sentence is talking about):

I recently watched two movies which were good, but not as good as they could have been had they undergone some proper editing. Holy crap! That said, I'm not entirely sure that this movie was even aiming to be a horror, as the general tone feels almost spoofy at times.

I think this movie benefits tremendously by not being saddled down with an origins story like the first, so they're able to jump right into the action. What's the point of an action scene where I can't see shit?!?!

So we joked that the guy in the trailer who constantly insists that "there is no vampire menace" just happened to have a copy of the graphic novel on hand. It's sad that Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley's characters, who I was originally thrilled to see weren't returning, were actually very much missed, and the new characters introduced completely failed to fill the void they left behind. Makes you wonder why they were even included in the first place. The references just become groan inducing.

However, the big scene from Erik's childhood comes off as really corny and over-dramatic, which was a bit of a let down. It sounds like the stuff that a bunch of kids would actually say, which really helps ground the movie and give it a more realistic feeling. But here, it did absolutely nothing for me, and that's sort of how I felt about all of the action.

At times this movie almost becomes a drinking game. Sure enough, just as we're all thinking that, the woman recognizes him, and all is well again.

This movie has no such excuse. I was really not looking forward to these earlier scenes going in because they looked so bad, but they seriously fixed him up for the final film. (If only the latest Harry Potter could've been nearly this good...)

3 comments:

  1. Embrace the Random! (I think we need t-shirts.) This turned out really cool. I recognized a few of the lines, but now I'm going to need to go back and figure out the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed my post from yesterday! This was a very fun post and I think that I may have to use this Embrace the Random myself before the month is up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm so glad you guys actually enjoyed this. I was afraid that this idea would completely flop. XD

    ReplyDelete