Monday, January 16, 2023

My #1 Movie of the Year, Every Single Year

While I haven't actively been reviewing movies anymore for a few years now, one thing I still like to do all the same is, at the end of each year, I still enjoy ranking my favorites from the past year. And seeing as how I've been consistently ranking my favorite films every year since 2009, I thought it might be fun to look back and see what I chose at the time to be my #1 favorite movie from each year (as well as the decades as a whole). So, without further ado, here are my #1 Movies of the Year from every single year that I've been consistently ranking movies:

2009

Avatar
(James Cameron)

2000 - 2009
Best of the Decade


Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
(George Lucas)

2010

Inception
(Christopher Nolan)

2011

Sucker Punch
(Zack Snyder)

2012

Dredd
(Pete Travis)

2013

Iron Man 3
(Shane Black)

2014

Interstellar
(Christopher Nolan)

2015

Inside Out
(Pete Docter)

2016

La La Land
(Damien Chazelle)

2017

Logan
(James Mangold)

2018

Bohemian Rhapsody
(Bryan Singer)

2019

Frozen II
(Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee)

2010 - 2019
Best of the Decade


Frozen
(Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee)

2020

The Hunt
(Craig Zobel)

2021

Raya and the Last Dragon
(Don Hall, Carlos López Estrada)

2022

Sonic the Hedgehog 2
(Jeff Fowler)

2023

Godzilla Minus One
(Takashi Yamazaki)

And there it is. And while I do still stand by most of these, there are a few which I would totally swap out for another movie at this point. However, while I was considering sharing those picks that I'd change, I instead decided that I'd just like to let these initial picks stand on their own. After all, the Academy doesn't get to go back and say what movies they would have picked for Best Picture if they changed their minds years later, so who am I to go back and retroactively change what's essentially my own picks for Best Picture each year at the time.

But anyways, those are my original picks for #1 Movie of the Year each year. What movies were your favorites from each year at the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment